A series of randon experiences, thoughts, feelings and musings.........

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

MaR-Ke-TanG [Aka Marketing]

I have question: Why do people study text books for marketing??

As in, isn't it all about experience....Tell me one thing that works for two products or companies....Doesn't every company have a separate and different marketing strategy??..They do and thats why we have so many case studies in the first place....If thats the case, what is the point of this rote learning??..Kotler wrote a book in four years but we are supposed to read it, understand and repeat the same for our end term....Which is easy for the book worms and the hyper performers but what about poor little souls like me???

Infact when people ask what marketing is all about, the
kotlers and porters of the world come up with fancy words to describe the same, but ask a person who does it day in and day out and i am sure he will have a different story to tell....Nothing really works as per the written script....a story which will actually tell what marketing is all about....
Newaz i dont think we have many options though....It's Kotler for us....Lucky for us that we have a
lady Kotler (she will probably kill me for this) amongst us who voluntarily helps us out....

Nonetheless the subject marketing which is supposed to be fun and interesting still seems as drab and boring as ever and makes me wonder if I am in the right place and if I am doing the right thing....

No comments:

WhO aM I !!!!

My photo
Senti-'MENTAL'...Crazy...Mad... Bad...Rude...Obnoxious... Incorrigible...Impossible... Hopeless...Ignorant... Unlovable...Callous...Difficult... Bitter...Sarcastic...Nasty... Unpalatable...Ungrateful... Selfish...Stupid... }:) Thats me alright !!! But ya i am trying to improve... By being more of those..